In the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus is asked, “Who is my neighbor?“ The lawyer doing the asking was perhaps looking for a loophole in the laws of the day or hoping for a shortcut to eternal life. Jesus’ answer was surprising. The person who truly acted like a neighbor was not the upper class priest or Levite but instead was the Samaritan, the outsider of that society.
We know that God tells us to love our neighbor as we love ourselves. In Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount, he takes this commandment even further by saying, “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.”
The 2017 Synod Assembly will attempt to address the question, “Who is my neighbor?” Join us as members of marginalized communities share their stories and experiences with us. Engage in conversation and reflection. Hear stories of truth and leave equipped with resources for addressing some of these issues within your context.
We are incredibly excited to have Glocal taking a leading role at our assembly this year. The mission of the ELCA Glocal Musicians and Educators is to equip for God’s work in global and local realities, as well as their “glocal” intersections. They will lead us in mission conversations around the realities of our communities and this world God loves.
We hope you will join us for assembly, as together we consider the question, “Who is my neighbor?
Please register online. Early bird prices end on April 21. Registration closes on May 5.
Early Bird Rates (to April 21)
- Voting Members – $250
- Visitors – $195
- One Day Visitor – $75
- Retired Leader/Spouse – $125
- Exhibitor – $175 (additional booth personnel meal package – $100)
Regular Rates (April 22 – May 5)
- Voting Members – $295
- Visitors – $250
- One Day Visitor – $100
- Retired Leader/Spouse – $150
- Exhibitor – $200 (additional booth personnel meal package – $100)
- Additional meal packages are not available after May 5
- Commuter Fee – $20 (for all attendees not staying at Hilton)
- Retired one day only – free
- Synod council (not sent by congregation – free
- Other volunteers – confirm with assembly planner first
- First Call
- With or without assembly registration (through May 5) – $60
- Commuter – $20 (not staying Wednesday)