Since we have not had to deal with this in the past few years, we are more than likely not as prepared as we should be. We encourage each and every one of you to become a “72 Hour Lutheran“, a person who has enough supplies in their home to meet their household’s basic needs for 72 hours.
Being prepared to take care of your own family allows you to then reach out and help others. Use this bulletin insert to help your congregational members be prepared.
Lutherans, let’s make this a priority:
- Use the 72 Hour Lutheran checklist for supplies
- Determine escape routes
- Make an evacuation plan for all pets
- Share one out of state emergency contact with all your family and friends
- Call you church and be sure your information is correct
- Know the vulnerability of your home and the safest areas within it
Gulf Coast Leaders & Congregations:
- If a hurricane hits your area, make sure you and your family have all the necessary supplies to be a 72 Hour Lutheran
- If you are planning on evacuating, let the synod office know where you are going. Please include a contact number, address, and the name of a local contact.
- Once the hurricane hits your area, please contact us by email, call 281.873.5665, or using social media and let us know how you’re doing.
- Congregations, please check on the elderly and their caregivers to make sure they have a plan to evacuate or shelter in place with food and supplies
- Congregations should move to protect their congregational records and equipment by wrapping items in plastic, moving items away from windows, and setting things, if possible, on higher ground.
- Preparedness Resources
- Becoming a 72 Hour Lutheran
- 72 Hour Lutheran Bulletin Insert
- Response Resources
In this day and age, one of the best ways to stay connected with us, especially in times of crisis, is through social media
- “Like us” on Facebook: Gulf Coast Synod, ELCA and Gulf Coast Synod Disaster Relief
- “Follow us” on Twitter
Should we dodge a bullet this season, consider a trip, special offering, or some support to those who don’t. In times of crisis, we have the opportunity and responsibility to respond.
Prepare your work outside, get everything ready for you in the field;
and after that, build your house. -Proverbs 24:27